Conducted overseas surveys, wrote survey reports and planned study meetings in preparation
for realizing ecosystems that enable progressive philanthropy
Conducted overseas surveys, wrote survey reports and planned study meetings in preparation for realizing ecosystems that enable progressive philanthropy
Fiscal 2019 highlights
• Finding from on-the-spot survey in the United States
• We confirmed the existence of a wide range of philanthropy advisory organizations and impact investment advisory organizations, which vary according to the nature of the customer, and understood that they each have their strengths and special characteristics.
• We found that interest in impact investment among family foundations is rising, and that the major philanthropy advisory organizations are setting up impact investment promotion teams.
• We discovered multiple communities for peer study, which spark inquiry-based learning amongst philanthropists
• Began writing survey report on formation of new philanthropy ecosystem
• Planned study meetings for people with an interest in participating in progressive philanthropy activitis
Comments from those involved
Japan is sometimes called an asset superpower, but the level of donations and impact investing is lower than in other major countries. There are limits to the state’s ability to resolve problems, so we believe it is necessary for each individual to act with the intent to build society. Progressive philanthropy refers to the intentional pursuit of capital (knowledge, passion, or money committed to projects with measurable social impact) by each individual, and also to the ecosystem that supports the investment and business activities that arise as a result of this pursuit. We believe it is necessary to consider and practice ways of using individual capital to initiate social and economic resource circulation in a way that transcends the framework of self-help, public services and mutual help, by raising awareness among impact-oriented asset owners, and seeking the evolution of a self-generating ecosystem of philanthropy.