A new economy that supports the exchange of value other than moneyAlternatives Focus areas
Overview of activities
Going forward, we believe that impact investing will need the construction of a new economy (an impact economy) to support sustainable solutions to social problems and create new value, such as by transforming existing financial systems, rebuilding flows of money in order to redefine self-help, public help, and mutual help, and creating new mechanisms for exchanging value. To achieve this, SIIF intends to build a new ecosystem for the circulation of resources, to which end it is creating models and nurturing players.
Today, with the limitations of the existing capitalist economy that assumes growth as a precondition becoming apparent, we must change the structure of society and the economy. We invested in ADDress Co., Ltd. not simply as a means of revitalizing regional economies, but because we expect it to play a role as a new community hub that allows required resources, such as “people” and “objects,” to flow to the regions and be conserved there. We are currently working with others to make the social impact of the “related population” visible, and attempting to clarify the positive impact on local communities of connections between individuals. At Hallucigenia Lab, we are taking up the challenge of thinking about and generating new mechanisms for society and the economy. Specifically, while providing support and cooperation for ecosystem players in multiple regions, we are working to develop new projects that will generate a new circulation of resources such as people, objects and money. While boldly introducing advanced concepts such as gift economy theory, community marketing and speculative design, we aim to develop a new methodology for creating regional ecosystems.
Five strategic themes for accomplishing our mission
- Three-dimensional investment structures experiencing global growth Impact investing
- “Impact investing” aims to generate simultaneous social and economic impacts alongside financial returns. The objective of SIIF is to create project models in Japan and to expand the market.
- Presenting new benchmarks for measuring value Social impact measurement/management
- Measurements designed to grasp the qualitative & quantitative social impact generated by projects and activities, and social impact management for the continuation of activities that utilize these measurements to enhance social impacts. We are working on the practice of both in Japan, as well as on knowledge development.
Paradigm shift in the public sector
PFS (pay-for-success) contracts
Social impact bonds (SIB)
- Contributes to building reform mechanisms for more results-oriented public services, such as by using contracts in which payments are proportional to successful social outcomes (PFS), and methods for sourcing funding from investors on such occasions (SIB).
- Paradigm shift in the public sector PFS (pay-for-success) contracts
- A new economy supported by the exchange of value other than money Alternatives
- We are working to build mechanisms and project models to express the value in social, natural, cultural, human, and emotional capital in a way that would be difficult using an economic capitalist approach.
- Intentional funding drives innovation Progressive philanthropy
- We will provide backing for philanthropic activities that generate sustainable social impacts, so as to enable the transformative effects of individual donations and charitable activities by private-sector foundations.