Presenting new benchmarks for measuring valueSocial impact measurement/management Focus areas
Overview of activities
As an organization whose goal is to popularize impact investing and impact-oriented philanthropy in Japan, SIIF is engaged in the practice of, and development of knowledge and nurturing of practitioners for, the social impact measurement and management initiatives that constitute the preconditions for such activities.
What is “Social impact measurement/management”?
With global interest in building sustainable societies rising steadily, we have arrived at an era in which even companies are being measured not only by economic activity such as profitability, but by the degree of their contribution to society. In addition, there is also a movement among not-for-profit organizations such as NPOs to clarify the degree of their contribution to resolving social problems. The process of making visible the results and changes in society and the environment caused by the activities and services provided by companies and not-for-profit organizations is referred to as “social impact measurement.” The process of using information related to social results to improve businesses and to make decisions with the intent of enhancing social impacts is referred to as “social impact management.”
Social Impact Measurement & Management
Five strategic themes for accomplishing our mission
- Three-dimensional investment structures experiencing global growth Impact investing
- “Impact investing” aims to generate simultaneous social and economic impacts alongside financial returns. The objective of SIIF is to create project models in Japan and to expand the market.
- Presenting new benchmarks for measuring value Social impact measurement/management
- Measurements designed to grasp the qualitative & quantitative social impact generated by projects and activities, and social impact management for the continuation of activities that utilize these measurements to enhance social impacts. We are working on the practice of both in Japan, as well as on knowledge development.
Paradigm shift in the public sector
PFS (pay-for-success) contracts
Social impact bonds (SIB)
- Contributes to building reform mechanisms for more results-oriented public services, such as by using contracts in which payments are proportional to successful social outcomes (PFS), and methods for sourcing funding from investors on such occasions (SIB).
- Paradigm shift in the public sector PFS (pay-for-success) contracts
- A new economy supported by the exchange of value other than money Alternatives
- We are working to build mechanisms and project models to express the value in social, natural, cultural, human, and emotional capital in a way that would be difficult using an economic capitalist approach.
- Intentional funding drives innovation Progressive philanthropy
- We will provide backing for philanthropic activities that generate sustainable social impacts, so as to enable the transformative effects of individual donations and charitable activities by private-sector foundations.